Park Theatre at Kurhaus
The Park Theatre at the Kurhaus Göggingen (Spa Hotel in Göggingen) is the only Wilhelminian-style, multifunctional theatre in Europe still in existence. This extraordinary construction was planned and created in 1886 by architect Jean Keller and the owner, Friedrich von Hessing, who was a successful orthopaedist and entrepreneur. In the style of an English pleasure garden, the Kurhaus was planned to be a supplement to Hessing’s “Orthopädischer Heilanstalt” (orthopaedic sanatorium). Towards the end of the 19th century, this clinic, which was also located in Göggingen, had become one of the biggest European hospitals specialising in orthopaedics.
The Kurhaus played an important role in Hessing’s concept of healing methods. On the one hand, the theatre was a place where patients could relax and receive psychological convalescence, and on the other hand the “milk spa” served to strengthen their physical constitution.
This “milk spa”, a building with three wings, is no longer part of the premises. Next to it a building was created which included the two wing buildings, the theatre and gardens.